Friday, March 9, 2012

trying everything

Sunday was the Purim Carnival at our synagogue. It's been years since I've been a member of anything jewish-affiliated (besides the JCC, but that doesn't really count) and I still grapple with how to introduce religion vs tradition vs beliefs to my kids. But the synagogue is a great way for my kids to meet other kids of the same faith, especially for my son who is starting to ask his own questions. Back to point...

 Barbie Superhero and a Star Wars character...

It's nice to go somewhere were people recognize you not just for your name, but for your history, your traditions, for the holidays you celebrate. Whether or not you actually belief in your faith never comes up, whether or not your praying to G-d or something else, we just don't talk about it. We talk about how fun it is to watch our kids running around, what we did all weekend, what we plan to do for upcoming holidays, when the next time we can get together and shoot the shit will be. I like this communal feeling. 

I know in a few years we'll be confronted with the big "what's G-d" question since Stephen will be studying for his Bar Mitzvah. At that point, hubby and I have some answering to do. But that's for us to figure out later...we've already got enough on our plate this week... 

No comments:

Post a Comment