Monday, February 13, 2012

my cursed dress project

Yup, cursed I tell ya! ::fists raised in the air, cursing the wind!::

I promised my princess a Valentine's Day dress. Which, in theory, is ridiculous since my husband and I don't celebrate the national day of love -- never have, never will. But I'll get into that some other day.

Back to the dress...I told her that I would make her a special dress to wear to school. I spent quite some time deciding on a pattern, which is the Brooke Dress from brynnberlee designs. Then, I spent even more time picking out my fabric -- I didn't want her in red and pink -- but something more modern and chic. I picked out this heart pattern for the skirt (and planned to use black fabric for the top & sleeves):
But of course, I cut the entire skirt wrong -- I reversed length and width...my bad. I should've known from the getgo that this dress needed to be shelved for another day. 

I continue on...I LOVE the Brooke Pattern, but never having done pleats or buttons & button holes, I should've taken a deep breath and paid more attention to the details. Because what happened in the end? Front pleat panel for skirt ended up as the back of the dress.

I sewed on the bodice and have the button panel on top of the button hole panel


I didn't even bother hemming the dress, just used a rolled hem (sergers rule!). 
She will still wear it tomorrow. I plan to add 2 extra holes where the buttons should be, and I'll use some red ribbon and tie bows so the bodice holds up. And no one but myself will realize how I botched the pleats. One day this sewing thing will make sense, I swear.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment