Friday, February 3, 2012

how much does a blogger blog?

Yeah, I'm trying hard to keep my blog going. Not because I think my life is more interesting than the next person. Or that my sewing and crafting is spectacular (I sewed a whole dress inside out the other, a simple tunic dress!). I don't do it because it's going to land me some amazing job in the universe of the blogosphere. And as you can see -- if I have anyone really reading this blog at all -- I don't reveal too much of the private life I live on this side of the computer. No. 

But maybe that's my problem. I don't reveal shit. I've been reading some blogs (nobigdill, gelatomama, lilblueboo) and their honesty about their lives is absolutely riveting, disgusting, enlightening, depressing and uplifting. But as I read their posts, I wonder "are their friends/family/partners/spouses/workmates reading this stuff?" And if so, how do those individuals feel about being mentioned? Are they learning intimate things about the blogger that might make them uncomfortable? 


Yes, I tell my mom (almost) everything. I call my siblings A LOT. And my phone records for the day show at least 5 phone calls to my best friend in NY, and it's not even noon on the west coast. Even with all of this real-voice communication, I'm still not sure I want them reading my writing communication (because I'm much better with a pen than I am with my voice). Where do you draw the line?

Maybe the point of a blog is so you don't have to draw a line. Free speech right?

Seriously though, if you're writing away in a blog, divulging secrets, discussing the crazy shit happening in your life, posting observations you've made during the day -- and no one is reading them -- then what are you really doing?  Filling a narcissistic personality? Getting things off your chest as you would in a journal? (Yes, I have dozens from my childhood and not a single one as a grown woman.) But maybe that's what I need -- a big girl journal.

What, in my life, will resonate with some stranger, sitting in front of their computer, who just happened to stumble across mylil? I don't know...but I guess I should start blogging about it and see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment