Monday, August 8, 2011

I Freaking DID IT! Shirring...

The other night I attempted to upcycle a dress my sister gave me -- I had all my notions and all the balls to make my daughter a dress. But alas, after 3 days of seam ripping, remeasuring and sewing, I'm tossing it in. I am going to cut that dress up and make a few other items. And besides, I was taking on too much -- eyelet fabric with lining? C'mon, I haven't even figured out how to sew a straight SEAM!

But what I did learn how to do today is SHIRR! Yes, I conquered a sewing barrier that I was absolutely afraid to try. Winding a bobbin by hand with elastic thread? No problem. Sewing slowly to get straight lines for proper shirring? DID IT!

How, you must be asking, did I figure it out? After days of reading online tutorials, I found this tutorial on shirring from my new go-to blog on sewing, Ruffles and Stuff. This blog is chock full of awesome tutorials -- I understood them so that means a 6-year-old beginner can. Everything is photographed and explained beautifully.

I made one small change to these directions -- instead of drawing lines on my practice fabric, I just left my needle in the fabric, lifted the presser foot, and turned the fabric around & lined the presser foot alongside my already sewn shirred line (make sense at all??). It worked out quite well, except for the few time I lifted my eyes up to my kids and yelled at them for slamming the door...

The only step I haven't done yet, because I have zero desire to take out my iron, is the very last step of spraying water and ironing. I'll do that tomorrow...after coffee.

I made two rows, but followed those rows as guides when spacing my lines.



 A close up of leaving my needle in and turning the fabric.

YAY! I did it -- now I have to spray with water and iron. Since it's a sample piece, I'll turn it into something else...pics coming soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment